A round yellow variety popular in Andhra Pradesh. Lemon sized and shaped. Can be used in fresh in salads. It can also be cooked to make pacchadi , with dal in pappu, or dried and fried into Wadiyam. The cucumber originated in India, where a great many varieties have been observed, from Cucumis hystrix. It has been cultivated for at least 3,000 years, and was probably introduced to other parts of Europe by the Greeks or Romans. Records of cucumber cultivation appear in France in the 9th century, England in the 14th century, and in North America by the mid-16th century. We used Round Yellow in our iThottam and you can get seeds from http://www.seedsofindia.com/search/cucumber.
- Cucumbers are very low in calories, have minimal amounts of fats and no cholesterol.
- Have a very high water content and are know to have diuretic properties, and thus help in improving the kidney and bladder diseases. Eating cucumbers regularly in summer months prevents dehydration.
- Contains ascorbic acid(vitamin c) and caffenic acid, so when applied topically, it soothes skin irritations, sunburns, reduces inflammation and rehydrates dry skin.
- Good source of silica, which is found in connective tissues like muscles, tendons, ligaments,cartilage, and bone. Regular consumption of cucumber improves the health and complexion of skin, and healthy hair.
- Moderate source of vitamin c, a natural water soluble antioxidant. It enhances the body’s immune system, increases the elasticity of skin and blood vessels, and prevents bruising of the skin.
- Moderate source of folic acid and vitamins A, which are essential for maintaining a healthy heart and eye sight.
- Good source of other minerals like calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc and manganese, which play a very important role in maintaining proper metabolic activities of the body.
- Good source of potassium and very low in sodium. This helps in lowering the blood pressure.
- Very good source of dietary fiber. It adds roughage to the contents of the intestines, promotes satiety, promotes the health of the colon, and also helps in relieving constipation, hemorrhoids, diverticular disorders, etc.
- Raw cucumber juice also soothes heart burn and acidity, also helps to control the eczema, arthritis, and gout.